Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News about Phil and Lee University in connection with AI7

Go down

News about Phil and Lee University in connection with AI7 Empty News about Phil and Lee University in connection with AI7

Post by CFPhilfan Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:52 pm

This came in my Google alerts. I'll look out for this guy as well as the other one mentioned. I'm wondering if the first guy will follow in a famous fellow alumnus' footsteps. Very Happy This is the printer-friendly version for easier posting here.

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2008/feb/12/clevelands-guyton-hollywood-round-idol/

Cleveland’s Guyton in Hollywood round of ‘Idol’
Tuesday, February 12, 2008

By:
Susan Pierce (Contact)

For the second consecutive year, a Lee University student has caught the attention of “American Idol” judges Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell and advanced to the Hollywood round.

Viewers of Fox’s popular TV talent show may have caught a glimpse of Chase Guyton in last Tuesday’s Atlanta auditions. He was one of only 20 singers there to earn one of the show’s golden tickets to Hollywood.

Phil Stacey, an alumnus of the Cleveland, Tenn., university finished sixth in Season 6 of “American Idol.” Mr. Stacey will be singing at Lee on Feb. 21, according to university officials.

“American Idol’s” Hollywood round begins tonight at 8 on Fox (Comcast channel 11). The judges will begin narrowing 164 singers chosen from the seven audition cities to 24 semifinalists who will be voted on by viewers to make the 12 finalists.

Mr. Guyton will be competing against Chattanoogan Tim Harris, a graduate of Chattanooga High School Center for Creative Arts, for one of those coveted 24 spots.

Mr. Guyton, 22, is the son of Iris Bezares and James Guyton, both of Cleveland. In a phone interview, the singer said he has lived in Cleveland since he was 6 and is a student at Lee.

“I’m one of six boys. We all grew up singing in church together,” Mr. Guyton said.

“We’ve got a family quartet, The Guy Tones, and we’ve sung at different churches in the Cleveland area.”

Despite his vocal ability, the Lee student said he doesn’t sing at Lee. He plays saxophone in the university’s jazz ensemble.

Mr. Guyton said he performed “My Funny Valentine” and “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” for the trio of judges in Atlanta. He declined to elaborate further on their reactions or what has happened since, citing restrictions of the confidentiality agreement all contestants must sign.

According to the university Web site, the Lee jazz ensemble will be performing Feb. 28. Will they be minus one sax player?

Tune in tonight to see how the two local men fare.

Pic of Chase, from http://www.americanidol.com/hollywoodweek/ There was no photo available for Tim.

News about Phil and Lee University in connection with AI7 28522
CFPhilfan
CFPhilfan
Super Philnatic
Super Philnatic

Female Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down