Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Idol' finalist Stacey signs with Lyric Street

Go down

'Idol' finalist Stacey signs with Lyric Street Empty 'Idol' finalist Stacey signs with Lyric Street

Post by Danny Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:08 am

SOURCE

'Idol' finalist Stacey signs with Lyric Street

Saturday, December 29, 2007
By Susan Pierce
Staff Writer

Phil Stacey has hardly been idle since "Idol."

Since finishing the 55-city "American Idol" summer tour in September with the rest of the Top 10 finalists on Fox's top-rated reality show, the Lee University alumnus has sung in venues ranging from Carnegie Hall to NFL stadiums.

He's completed his service to the U.S. Navy, moved his family to Nashville and just last week inked a record deal with Lyric Street Records -- which makes him labelmates with country's superstar trio Rascal Flatts as well as "Idol" alumni Bucky Covington and Josh Gracin.

Monday, Mr. Stacey will serve as grand marshal of the Gator Bowl parade in Jacksonville, Fla. Tuesday afternoon he'll again sing for a national TV audience when he performs the national anthem to open the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl.

"Being on the Lyric Street label with Rascal Flatts is really cool," Mr. Stacey said in a recent phone interview.

"Jay (DeMarcus) and I have that Lee University connection, and we have spoken about that. (DeMarcus attended Lee from 1990-1993.) When I first met Josh Gracin, he looked at me and said, 'Welcome to the 'American Idol' label," he joked.

On a more serious note, Mr. Stacey added, "Lyric Street has done well with 'Idol' contestants. They watch the show, believe in the show."

After hearing three demo tracks cut by Mr. Stacey, the label's management believed in him as well.

According to Cindy Heath, Lyric Street Records publicist, "Phil has gone into the studio with producer Wayne Kirkpatrick to record music for his debut album."

Wayne Kirkpatrick is the highly touted songwriter who co-wrote Eric Clapton's "Change the World" and wrote Michael W. Smith's "A Place in This World." He co-produced and co-wrote Little Big Town's debut CD and his songs have been recorded by Wynonna Judd, Amy Grant, Faith Hill, Martina McBride and Garth Brooks.

"So far, what we've got are some really killer songs that we are selecting from," said Mr. Stacey. "We've recorded four already that are amazing."

The singer pinpointed "lyrics to which he relates" as his criteria in a song he records. His first single from the as-yet-untitled CD will be, "If You Didn't Love Me," which was co-written by Gary LeVox, Rascal Flatt's lead vocalist.

"It talks about how you can experience hard times and the one you love can help you through the situation. It rings a bell with me because Kendra (his wife) supported me through the whole 'American Idol' situation," he said.

He said he hopes his CD will be released in April. He said that of the debut CD's 11 tracks, he's hoping to write at least one.

"They have listened to a couple of songs I've written. One is about my grandfather and anther about an experience I had as a teen."

In the meantime, he and Melinda Doollittle have made several appearances together.

"Melinda has signed with my manager. She is involved in a theater in Nashville and we put on a concert in Franklin as a benefit for that theater. She is highly requested for appearances," he said.

The two performed Oct. 22 at Carnegie Hall as special guests in a benefit concert by the Young People's Chorus of New York City..

On Nov. 3, the pair sang with the Cleveland (Ohio) Pops Orchestra at "An Evening with Scott Hamilton and Friends." The gala combined their vocals with the artistry of world champion skaters to raise funds for the Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center.

He said since the "Idol" tour ended, the 10 finalists have stayed in touch by talking and texting. He admits to buyng "two copies each" of Jordin Sparks' and Blake Lewis' debut albums.

"Many people pointed out how close this year's group (of finalists) was and it's really true," Mr. Stacey said. "Many of us will keep in touch throughout the years and continue to support each other in our endeavors."

E-mail Susan Pierce at spierce@timesfreepress.com

WHERE ARE THEY NOW
Phil Stacey gave this rundown on his fellow "American Idol" contestants.

Jordin Sparks: The Season 6 winner will sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl, performed for Diana Ross at the 30th Kennedy Center Honors and will be performing on New Years Eve Live on FOX with runner-up Blake Lewis.

Blake Lewis: Since Idol, Lewis was named to People magazine's "Hottest Bachelors of 2007" and Elle Girl magazine's "50 Hottest Guys."

Gina Glocksen: "Gina is doing some shows in Chicago and my daughter is going to be a flower girl in her wedding," Mr. Stacey said.

Chris Sligh: "Chris lives right down the road from me. He is working on a Christian record with Amy Grant's producer." Sligh's Myspace said the CD's working title is "Holding On To the Letting Go," produced by Brown Bannister.

Haley Scarnato: Mr. Stacey said she has moved into a Nashville apartment, "two minutes away from me," and she is pursuing a country music career.

Sanjaya Malakar: Sanjaya's "Ponyhawk" was ranked No. 3 in the 2007 Top TV Moment video searches by AOL.

Chris Richardson: "He was just in our home last week visiting and doing some writing. He's been doing a lot of writing and is trying to get one of his songs on my CD," Mr. Stacey said.

LaKeisha Jones: On Dec. 19, Jones took over the role of the church soloist in the Broadway production of "The Color Purple." She will also play Sofia in matinee performances of the musical, standing in for Chaka Kahn.

Melinda Doolittle: She toured with Michael W. Smith on his "It's a Wonderful Christmas" tour, she hosted the Dec. 24 PBS special, "Christmas at Belmont," and contributed to the book, "Chicken Soup for the American Idol Soul."

Sources: Phil Stacey and Internet sites
Danny
Danny
Webmaster
Webmaster

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-02-17

http://www.philnatics.com/

Back to top Go down