Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stacey Set Stage For Red, White and Blue at Stadium

Go down

Stacey Set Stage For Red, White and Blue at Stadium Empty Stacey Set Stage For Red, White and Blue at Stadium

Post by Danny Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:18 pm

Photo of Phil:

http://photos.jacksonville.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=17003780

Article:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/112407/nec_219565346.shtml

Stacey set stage for red, white and blue at stadium

By My Clay Sun

Most of the entertainment dollars in the Thames' household are spent in five ways:

1. Vacations

2. Golf (for me)

3. 42-inch HD television

4. Jaguar tickets

5. Dining out in Clay County restaurants

On Sunday, my wife and I received a full return on our investment and then some from our Jaguar season tickets.

I can't say that has always been the case with our other expenditures, especially golf, but that's a story for another day.

It started with a stirring National Anthem by Jacksonville's own Phil Stacey, an American Idol contestant. The image of Stacey in his Navy uniform, his strong voice and the jet fly over set an emotional stage for the partisan military crowd at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium.

The Jaguars' impressive showing against visiting San Diego Charges, plus the tributes to fan favorite Fred Taylor's 10,000 career rushing yards also contributed to the electrified atmosphere.

With the Jaguars comfortably ahead at halftime, it only got better. The energized crowd had been promised a special treat. And special it was.

First, about 70 or 80 recruits took the oath of office to enlist in the branch of U.S. military service of their choice, which produced a rousing cheer from the boisterous full house.

Then Stacey entertained again with Proud To Be An American, which brought tears to more than a few of the proud patrons.

The final plank in the patriotic festivities was provided by a large group of fans who sit in the north end zone. As Stacey began singing, the fans in that section raised red, white and blue placards in the design of an American flag. Seeing that giant flag on the Jumbotron was exciting beyond belief.

Here you had all these new military recruits, our current favorite Navy son, a stirring patriotic song and a huge U.S. flag in the end zone. It was a moment I will never forget.

If you were in the stands and didn't feel the emotion, well, you just don't get it. Or you were well into your second six-pack, or worse. The sober ones know it is just a football game and we tried our best to let our real heroes (the ones in military uniforms) know how much we admire and respect them and how thankful we are for their service to our country, here on this wonderful holiday weekend.

Thanks Jaguars, thanks Phil Stacey, thanks recruits and thanks north end zone fans. It was a glorious day and I am definitely "proud to be an American."

And, oh, yeah. The Jaguars won.

Danny
Danny
Webmaster
Webmaster

Male Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2007-02-17

http://www.philnatics.com/

Back to top Go down