Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A review of Phil's cd from Idol Chatter

Go down

A review of Phil's cd from Idol Chatter Empty A review of Phil's cd from Idol Chatter

Post by CFPhilfan Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:27 pm

A review of Phil's cd from Idol Chatter.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/idolchatter/phil_stacey/index.html?loc=interstitialskip
A quick preview of Phil's album
First, congrats to Kellie for winning three CMT awards, including breakthrough video. Now I will segue in a Nashville kind of way to this ...
Just got an advance copy of Phil's self-titled album, due in two weeks, and happy to report that it's a good, solid record. The recording process usually has a beneficial effect for most Idols, which is only natural considering the strain of singing live with a band on hastily concocted arrangements -- that's rarely going to compare well with the sound you can achieve in a recording studio. (Are there any Idols whose vocal quality has been hurt in the studio?)
Anyway, all that is meant as prologue to saying that Phil's voice is in fine form throughout. The sound of the record could be described as country for people who don't necessarily like country -- pop and rock and even blues elements are everywhere -- particularly on the bluesy Southern-rockish 'Round Here, which features some terrific picking.
Lyrically, there are a few idealistic message songs and several on the topic of devotion to a loved one -- a subject I, as a happily married man, can certainly relate to.
The single, If You Didn't Love Me, holds up well, and it's a consistent album. Only toward the end do a couple of relative clunkers appear, but then the very last track, the rousing, uplifting Identity, may well be the album's strongest. Nice start.
CFPhilfan
CFPhilfan
Super Philnatic
Super Philnatic

Female Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down